Dolphins release statement on Martin
Davie, FL (SportsNetwork.com) - The Miami Dolphins released a statement Sunday on the situation involving offensive tackle Jonathan Martin and refuted reports that the NFL Players' Association is investigating the matter.
Martin missed practice last week with what the team called an illness and sat out the team's Thursday game against Cincinnati. The Miami Herald and other media outlets said the second-year player left the team to seek treatment for an emotional issue after a prank went wrong in the team's lunch room on Monday.
ESPN reported that fellow Dolphins offensive lineman Richie Incognito was a central figure in the incident and added that the NFLPA was going to review the matter as possible bullying.
The Dolphins said Sunday that they have been in communication with Martin and that no such investigation was underway.
"The Miami Dolphins, including Coach Joe Philbin and Jonathan's teammates, have been in communication with Jonathan and his family since his departure from the club and continue to be in contact," the statement read. "Our primary concern for Jonathan is his overall health and well-being. As an organization, we take any accusations of player misconduct seriously.
"The notion of bullying is based on speculation and has not been presented to us as a concern from Jonathan or anyone else internally. The reports that the NFLPA is investigating our players are inaccurate. Additionally, the NFL offered its assistance during this time, which we appreciated and gladly accepted. We will continue to make Jonathan's health and well-being a focus as we do with all of our players."
Martin had opened Miami's first six games of the season at left tackle before being shifted to the right side following the Dolphins' acquisition of Bryant McKinnie earlier this month.
11/03 09:19:42 ET