Holiday inactivity keeps rankings status quo
By Lyle Fitzsimmons
Ocala, FL (Sports Network) - A sleepy holiday season in the ring resulted in no changes to the Sports Network's pound-for-pound boxing rankings from December to January.
The top-10 list had been jangled significantly in the weeks leading up to late December, most notably when former three-division champion Juan Manuel Marquez stopped Manny Pacquiao with a single right hand in their fourth meeting on Dec. 8 in Las Vegas.
Last month's result lifted Marquez from eighth to sixth, while Pacquiao dropped from fifth to seventh on the list released in mid-December.
No fighters in that top 10 were active between Dec. 12 and Jan. 15.
The list's No. 1 fighter, Floyd Mayweather Jr., is reportedly in discussions to return to the ring to defend his WBC welterweight title against Robert Guerrero in Las Vegas. Mayweather has not fought since defeating Miguel Cotto for the WBA's 154-pound title on May 5, 2012.
Fighters inactive for 12 months with no announced plans to fight are dropped from the rankings.
Other ranked fighters with matches reportedly in the works include No. 2 Sergio Martinez, who'll face Martin Murray on April 27 in Argentina; and No. 5 Carl Froch, who'll meet Mikkel Kessler on May 25 in London.
POUND FOR POUND RANKINGS
1. FLOYD MAYWEATHER JR. 43-0, 26 KO; Fights Robert Guerrero for WBC 147-lb title on May 4
2. SERGIO MARTINEZ; 50-2-2, 28 KO; Fights Martin Murray for WBC 160-lb title on April 27
3. WLADIMIR KLITSCHKO; 59-3, 50 KO; Defended IBF/IBO/WBA/WBO heavyweight titles vs Mariusz Wach (UD 12) in November
4. ANDRE WARD; 26-0, 14 KO; Inactive after right shoulder surgery in early January
5. CARL FROCH;30-2, 22 KO; Fights Mikkel Kessler for IBF 168-lb title on May 25
6. JUAN MANUEL MARQUEZ; 55-6-1, 40 KO; Defeated Manny Pacquiao (KO 6) in December
7. MANNY PACQUIAO; 54-5-2, 38 KO; Lost to Juan Manuel Marquez (KO 6) in December
8. VITALI KLITSCHKO; 45-2, 41 KO; Defended WBC heavyweight title vs Manuel Charr (TKO 4) in September
9. SAUL ALVAREZ; 41-0-1, 30 KO; Defended WBC 154-lb title vs Josesito Lopez (TKO 5) in September
10. ABNER MARES; 25-0-1, 13 KO; Defended WBC 122-pound title vs Anselmo Moreno (UD 12) in November
01/16 14:33:02 ET