World Cup Soccer
 
                 === Two dead in Sao Paulo stadium accident ===
 
 Sao  Paulo,  Brazil (SportsNetwork.com) -  A section of the Itaquerao Stadium,
 which  was set  to host the opening  match of the 2014 World Cup, collapsed on
 Wednesday, killing two people and injuring several more.
 
 The  fatalities occurred when a crane fell on the stadium, causing significant
 damage.  The arena,  which will stage five further World Cup games in addition
 to  the opening  fixture, including  a semifinal,  was said  to be  94 percent
 complete  and due  to  be finished  at  the end  of December  to  meet a  FIFA
 deadline.
 
 Television images showed that a huge metal structure buckled atop the stadium,
 destroying  part  of the  stands in  the east side  of the  venue. A LED panel
 installed outside the venue also was hit.
 
 FIFA  president  Joseph "Sepp"  Blatter  sent  a  message of  condolences  via
 Twitter:
 
 "I'm  deeply saddened  by the  tragic death  of workers  at Corinthians  Arena
 today," he said. "Our heartfelt condolences are with all the families."
 
 FIFA also released a statement on Wednesday, saying: "The safety of workers is
 the top priority for FIFA, the LOC, the federal government. We know the safety
 of  all  workers has always been  paramount for all the construction companies
 contracted to build the 12 FIFA World Cup stadiums."
 
 Brazilian  club Corinthians,  which  owns the  stadium,  issued the  following
 statement:  "The  board of Sport  Club Corinthians Paulista deeply regrets the
 accident earlier in Corinthians Arena."
 
 The 2014 World Cup is scheduled to begin at the Itaquerao stadium on June 12.
 
 
 
 11/27 18:59:02 ET

Powered by The Sports Network.

Sports Plus - Ruidoso News