Ducks' Selanne back for 21st season
Anaheim, CA (Sports Network) - Veteran right winger Teemu Selanne made his decision on Friday to return to the Anaheim Ducks for one more year.
According to the Orange County Register, he signed a one-year, $2 million deal.
"It's great to have Teemu back. He clearly still has passion for the game and can't wait to get started," said Executive Vice President/General Manager Bob Murray. "We are so pleased that Teemu will end his career where he belongs."
The decision was announced in a video clip that was posted by the Anaheim Ducks on their website. The video clip showed Selanne playing golf and then throwing his golf bag in a nearby pond in frustration. After retrieving his cell phone from the golf bag in the water, he called general manger Bob Murray to inform him that he will return for the 2013-14 season.
The 43-year-old said in the video, "I'm coming back. This it. This is my final one."
The former Rocket Richard Trophy winner has 675 goals and 755 assists in 1,387 career NHL games with the Ducks, Winnipeg Jets, Phoenix Coyotes, San Jose Sharks and Colorado Avalanche.
"I knew I wanted to play one more, but because I didn't have to make a decision earlier, I wanted to make sure it was going to be the right one," said Selanne. "We have a good team here, and that's also a main reason why I still want to come back. I think we have all the tools to go all the way. It's a big challenge and I want to be part of that."
The franchise leader in scoring contributed 12 goals and 24 points in 46 games for the Ducks in last year's shortened season. The veteran is ranked 11th all- time in goals and 15th in points.
08/30 18:12:54 ET