Dustin Johnson said that he was "taking a leave of absence ... effective immediately."
Philadelphia, PA (SportsNetwork.com) -
The PGA Tour denied Friday that Dustin Johnson has been suspended, this after an online report earlier in the day said the golfer was banned for six months after failing a drug test for a third time.
"With regard to media reports that Dustin Johnson has been suspended by the PGA Tour, this is to clarify that Mr. Johnson has taken a voluntary leave of absence and is not under a suspension from the PGA Tour," the tour said in a statement.
Golf.com reported that Johnson has failed three drug tests, one for marijuana in 2009 and two for cocaine -- first in 2012 and then earlier this year. The latter caused him to be suspended for six months, according to the report.